Sunday, August 12, 2012

My action plan


26/7/12

Education Changemakers

My recent motivation to create change has been sparked by the Education Changemakers program which I am lucky enough to be involved in. As part of this program we are to come up with a change project to bring back to our school.

The program has triggered many big picture thoughts and discussions about reforming education to better suit our remote context. I kept asking myself “but how does this fit with what I’m doing in the classroom right now?” Then I remembered a key learning from the first workshop of this program: think big, act small. Therefore my change project is around developing a model of education for our context that works in my classroom.


Change Project Ideas

The overall goals of my change project are to: 

Inspire a bright future
I would like to inspire my students to see that a better future is possible. I would like them to believe they can make a better future for themselves and improve their communities. Without hope for the future, reading and writing is not enough.

Empower local leaders
Teachers come and go from the Lands, some stay only a short time, others a long time. I don’t believe that it’s the teachers who are going to make a lasting impact on communities, it’s the people in the community itself. I believe school needs to have strong direction by these people. My biggest legacy is to value and empower the Anangu Education Workers in the school, the students and their family and community leaders to have more of a say about what goes on at school (starting in my classroom). We need to work together to find an ‘Anangu way’ of educating our students.

Develop youth ability to create change
I would like my students (in consultation with community) to identify an area of need in the community and work together on a project that will aim to better the community in some way. Not only will this show my students that creating change is possible, but it can give my students some experiences and skills that aim to prepare them adequately for a changing world and for future challenges, such as:

  • Develop leadership and teamwork skills within my students
  • Give the students a real-life learning context
  • Value community knowledge
  • Value student opinion
  • Incorporate student views into action
  • Give students a valued and recognized role within their community
  • Give a concrete experience in creating change
  • Inspire hope in themselves and in their community

Where to begin?

To begin with I envisage a series of lessons to lead my students towards realising what their positive future looks like, for themselves and their community. When they are clear on this, I want us to share that picture with families and the community and begin a conversation about how we can help educate our kids together so that they are able to achieve their dreams. This is how I see it unfolding: 

1. Reality check/inform
Explore a few honest truths with my students about the disparities that exist between Indigenous and Non-Indigenous Australians, as a starting point to recognise that there is an opportunity for change here. 

2. Inspire – change is possible!
Show my students examples of how other individuals and other communities have broken a perpetual cycle and created a better future for themselves and the others around them.

3. Dream big – what’s possible?
Get students to think about: What’s possible for your own life? What is the best possible future you see for you community? 

4. What do you need to do this?
Ask students: Why do you come to school? How can school help you to be the person you want to be and have the future you want to have? How do you learn best? What is most important to learn?

5. Share with family/community – ask for help
Share students’ dreams and aspirations with family/community and ask for their input and support going forward in dual responsibility to help our kids to achieve this together. 

6. Come up with the 'How?' - begin the authorship process
Start a conversation with our Anangu Co-ordinator, Anangu Education workers, students' families and other community members about how we can best educate our kids together. Begin to hand authorship over to local leaders and establish regular activities to work with families and community members in the classroom. 

7. How can we help our community right now?
Work with students and community on a project that betters the community in some way right now to foster a culture of 'change is possible' and develop important 'change maker' skills within my students.

Looking ahead

It's a bit scary to not know exactly what might happen in my classroom after this, however it's exciting to know that what ever it is, will be created in collaboration with Anangu Education Workers, students, families and the wider community.

3 comments:

  1. Really enjoying seeing your theory of change get clearer and tighter Lauren! Huge task ahead but your optimism and passion will help you move these intentions to actions. I also like the idea 'think big, act small' that Dave & Aaron spoke about. We've started the journey now - looking forward to hearing your reflections as you have a go at the lessons you've outlined above. Keep it up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't help but think how lucky I am to have shown up at such an exciting time. Guess that means, at the very least, I'm supposed to cheer you on, struggle and celebrate with you guys. Looking forward to it fo sho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we are the lucky ones Alana to have you show up at just the right time! You bring a lot of insight for us at such a crucial time. Not only your knowledge and experience of mainstream education but of your understanding of how Maori culture is valued throughout education in NZ. Oh and not to mention your ability to read The Wonky Donkey!!
      It's so nice to be working with someone who is so open and motivated to create positive educational change for our students. I've enjoyed the conversations we have had about this and hope there are many more to come. I also look forward to the struggles and the celebrations we will face :)

      Delete